Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing diary decrease the risk of getting depression?

Few months ago I came across this yahoo article that mentioned about writing diary would decrease the risk of getting depression. So I'm throwing back a question, does writing diary really decrease the risk of having depression?

Writing comments or short sentences on Facebook, Twitter, Path or Google+ are actually different types ways to express your thoughts which you can also call it "public diaries." This also include blogging. The difference between blogging and social media are the words limit and the uploading speed. Lastly, the old way is to write it using a pen and a book and keep it in your drawer.

In my personal opinion, I do not think so. One of my friend name Jones quit twitter because tweeting made her tweet lots of depressing stuff, making her even more depressed. So it shows that writing dairy does not really work.

Why I think that writing diary does not prevent depression? Ok this is why...
In the past I wrote depressing words or drew depressing pictures in my diary to vent my frustration, anger and sadness. When I read it months later or even years later, I felt that same negative emotion. I started self pitying myself and started to feel that all the bad things were going to happen again. Honestly it did not cure the scar but it deepens the scar. It was until I came across this YouTube video that mentioned writing positive things in your diary can actually create positive thinking which invites more positivity to your life. Then I started writing motivational words to myself. For example,
"I may be sad now but it is a process that I'm going through. It's okay because tomorrow is gonna be a better day. If you yourself don't believe in yourself, then no one else is gonna believe in you."

The things that you write really does make a difference. If you wanna write a emo post, it's okay but always say I'm emo now but I have friends and my family who will be always there with me. Start with negative comments and summarize with a positive encouragement for yourself. In this way, yes writing a diary really does help decreasing the risk of getting depression. Sadly most of the people does not know how to write a diary.

I came across a few of my social media friends that are sad and angry but saying that they are not. Firstly, they started off shooting people. They mentioned "go get a life", or "I will do what I want..." or "If you hurt me, I will ...." It's sad to deny that you are sad. Some people love to hurt others to cure their  wounds. In return, if you are hurt you use social media as a frustration to attack them, it will only look like you are emotionally unstable. I have tried that before, and when no one cares, a single post or a single comment is just enough. Why don't try writing something to comfort yourself instead of writing something to attack or judge them back. On a certain level, it really does not benefit you. It is sad but this is life...

To summarize this, it is the way you write that helps you get more depressed or less. This post is just an opinion of how I see that yahoo article.

Signing off!!! :D

MY VIDEO!